DescriptionOn September 30, 1780, about one thousand militiamen from the Overmountain region (today's East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia) marched into Quaker Meadows to gather with 350 militiamen from Surry and Wilkes counties, North Carolina. Quaker Meadows was the home of Colonel Charles MCDowell and his brother Major Joseph McDowell.
Charles McDowell, Jr., son of Colonel McDowell, built this house in 1812. Nothing remains of the colonel's house which was nearby in 1780. It is believed to have sat at the north end of what is today the golf course.