Council Oak marker

Description

On the evening of September 30, 1780, the militia officers met in a council of war to discuss plans for continuing their campaign in pursuit of British Major Patrick Ferguson. The officers met beneath the broad canopy of the Council Oak, which no longer stands.

In 1914, the Council Oak Chapter, NSDAR, placed this marker to commemorate the oak and its role in the victory at Kings Mountain. Even by then, the exact location of the venerable old tree had been forgotten.

An archival photo of the Council Oak reveals its size. For scale, find the horse and wagon on the left beneath the tree..

Images Show

Council Oak marker

Photo by Randell Jones

The Council Oak marker was erected on September 30, 1914 by the Council Oak Chapter, NSDAR, to commemorate the actions of the officers taken on that date in 1780 in a meeting beneath its branches. [View Additional File Details]

Council Oak marker

Photo by Randell Jones

Plaque reads: "Near this spot stood the oak which sheltered the brave men who here met in council Sept. 30, 1780 and marched on to glorious victory at King's Mountain. Erected by Council Oak Chapter DAR, Sept. 30, 1914." [View Additional File Details]

Council Oak - archival photo

Burke County Library

The Council Oak at Quaker Meadows cast a broad shadow. For scale, note the horse and man in carriage in the lower left of photo beneath the tree's canopy [View Additional File Details]

Cite this Page

Randell Jones, A Guide to the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail, “Council Oak marker,” Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail, accessed September 24, 2017, http:/​/​bythewaywebf.​webfactional.​com/​omvt/​items/​show/​6.​
View a Random Story

Share this Story