Burke County Courthouse Square

Description

The historic Burke County Courthouse on the old courthouse square presents memorials to several eras including the Revolutionary War era and the Overmountain men.

Images Show

Old Burke County Courthouse

photo by Randell Jones

The old Burke County Courthouse standing on courthouse square was built in 1835 and remodeled in 1901. It is used today for community gatherings. [View Additional File Details]

The Charters of Freedom

Photos by Randell Jones

Presented on the north side of the old courthouse is a display of America's founding documents: The Declaration of Independence, The U.S. Constitution, and The Bill of Rights. The Charters of Freedom display was a gift by Vance and Mary-Jo Patterson of Morganton in July 2014. [View Additional File Details]

Yellow Mountain Road mosaic at the Burke County Arts Council

photos by Randell Jones

At the south end of courthouse square, the Burke Arts Council now occupies the former jail building. The windows hold mosaics of scenes related to the county. In September 2014, a new mosaic was added, depicting the Yellow Mountain Road descending from the Blue Ridge Mountains through Quaker Meadows to the Catawba River at Greenlee Ford. The 13-star American flag and the dark tiles in the roadrepresenting the Overmountain Men of 1780 connect this mosaic to the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail. [View Additional File Details]

Cite this Page

“Burke County Courthouse Square,” Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail, accessed March 25, 2017, http:/​/​bythewaywebf.​webfactional.​com/​omvt/​items/​show/​59.​
View a Random Story

Share this Story